When it comes to interior design, new carpet flooring is one of the best ways to improve the comfort and elegance of any room. Whether you want to reduce noise, find a new style, or simply cozy it up, carpet will shape your home into something worth showing off.
However, while carpet is a great choice, finding the right carpet can make or break the atmosphere, usability, and comfort of a room. Installing a less-than-durable carpet in the hobby room, for example, would limit the ways you would feel comfortable using that space. Likewise, buying the wrong color for the living room would ruin the aesthetic you’ve worked so hard to create.
It should come as no surprise, therefore, that many homeowners feel overwhelmed at the thought of carpet shopping. That’s why we have compiled a quick list of ways you can ease the carpeting process and find the perfect color, style, and type for your home.
REMEMBER THE ROOM
The first thing you should consider is where in the home you will be installing new carpet. Think about how you and your family use each room, and shop accordingly. What color scheme are you looking for? Will the carpet come into contact with outdoor shoes? Thankfully, there as many stylesand makes of carpet as there are uses in a home. Here are some types of carpet fibers and styles, and the advantages they provide:
- Polyester. One of the most affordable carpet fibers, polyester is soft and very stain resistant. The price of polyester carpeting is more than reasonable and offers great underfoot comfort. It does, however, tend to be less durable than other fibers, so frequently walked hallways or family rooms may not be a wise location for polyester carpeting. The best areas for use are bedrooms, formal dining rooms, and other low-traffic areas. As the stain resistance and strong colors are a plus, consider polyester for your children’s bedrooms or nursery.
- Olefin (polypropylene). The biggest upside to this fiber is that it is solution dyed, so that the color is built into the material as it is manufactured. This results in total resistance to fading by sunlight or any chemical. Like polyester, it is inexpensive and doesn’t stain easily, making it perfect for children’s play areas.
- Nylon. Easily maintained, resistant to stain and wear, and brimming with style and color options, nylon is the most recommended carpet fiber. It is soft, yet durable enough to last in high foot traffic areas of the home like the living room. Nylon is extremely versatile and is used to create a wide variety of carpet styles for whatever look fits your home.
- Textured. Made from two-toned twisted yarns that hide dirt and wear very easily.
- Saxony. Also known as plush carpet, saxony is soft and luxurious, and looks great in more formal areas of your home.
- Frieze. This carpet style consists of loose fibers that create a flexible,durable texture, ideal for handling a lot of foot traffic.
- Looped or Berber. Instead of standing straight, the fibers in this style are—you guessed it—looped together. This creates a tight, attractive look that appeals to large rooms and dining areas.
KNOW YOUR CARPET PAD OPTIONS
Beneath your lovely new carpet you will need a layer of pad, or underlayment. This cushions and supports the carpet, protects it from wearing against the bare floor, and softens the effect of heavy furniture. It also helps insulate your home from cold drafts during the winter. This padding plays an important role in the lifespan and comfort of your carpet.
Carefully select the carpet pad based on the same facts that helped you choose the carpet itself. What activities will be taking place in that room? If you expect, say, playtime with the kids, a thicker, more durable pad would be best. Each style of carpet and use pairs with a certain density and thickness of underlay—consult a carpet professional to find the right pad.
DON’T BREAK THE BUDGET
As you shop around, remember that your budget should be the highest priority. With so many styles and quality brands, there is the perfect carpet out there, and your home and bank account will thank you for taking the time to research. At Carpet To Go, your home and budget is also our highest priority. We offer a wide selection of carpet, as well as hardwood, laminate, and tile flooring, and we will work with you to find the flooring that best compliments your home.
For more information, call 206.382.1253 today! We provide in-home consultations and free quotes, and we are dedicated to your flooring satisfaction.