If you’ve chosen to utilize area rugs in your home in lieu of carpeting, it’s imperative that you know how to keep your area rugs clean and well maintained. However, this might not be as easy at it seems given the time you spend at your job and taking care of your home.
Fortunately, with the aid of some handy, helpful cleaning and maintenance tips, this is one chore that can be easily fit into your busy lifestyle.
Several factors go into establishing a dependable cleaning routine. These factors revolve around the size and material of the rugs, so consult with your carpet and flooring expert to make sure you are using the proper cleaning regimen.
• Give your rugs a good shaking: Unless the area rug is particularly large, don’t hesitate to take it outside and shake it to help remove debris that has not embedded into the depths of the rug. Even large rugs can be rolled up and taken outside if you have someone in the home to help you. By doing this before you tackle the deep cleaning procedure, you will find that you’ve removed a good portion of the loose dust and dirt in advance.
• Regular vacuuming: Now that you’ve removed most of the loose debris, it’s time to break out the vacuum cleaner. Regular and systematic vacuuming is going to be your area rugs’ best friend in terms of maintaining its original sheen and luster. It can literally add years to the life of your rugs.
• Deal with any stains on the rugs: If you forgot, or failed to tackle a stain when it first occurred, you may need a serious stain removal product which is compatible with the material of the rug. Blot the stain from outside to inside and then rinse. If need be, repeat these steps. Try not to scrub the stained area too hard as this may adversely affect the fibers.
• Deep cleaning: Depending on the material with which the area rug was constructed, you should perform a deep cleaning at a minimum of once per year. If your rug is subject to a lot of foot traffic, or your household includes young children and/or pets, a deep cleaning might be in order on a more regular basis. If the rugs are delicate, hand wash them only. Rugs made from natural fibers are best cleaned with gentle cleaners and just a little water. Woven and braided rugs can be machined washed, but be sure and follow the instructions for washing them.
• Make sure the rug is thoroughly dry: After a deep cleaning you want to be absolutely sure that it is dry on both sides. After squeezing out any excess water, use the heat of the sun, if possible, or indoor fans to speed up the drying process so as to prevent any possibility of mildew or mold setting in.
There are a few things you can do outside of making sure your area rugs are clean to maintain the quality of your rugs. Follow these suggestions to bring out the best in your rugs.
• Include quality padding: Now that you’ve purchased some nice area rugs, be sure that they are supported by quality padding underneath. This not only enhances the comfort factor, it prevents slippage and aids in reducing wear.
• Rotate them regularly: Be sure and rotate the orientation of your rugs at least once a year. Depending on the degree of foot traffic the rug experiences, some people rotate them as often as once every six months.
• Change your furniture arrangement periodically: Besides giving a room a new look, rearranging furniture breaks up or eliminates natural pathways that people traverse across the area rug. This can add years to the life of your rugs.
No matter how great a job you do in cleaning and maintaining your area rugs, there are bound to be times – due to either convenience or excessive staining or buildup of dirt and grime – when you need the services of a pro. No matter what the cause, there are many good reasons to entrust the cleaning of your area rugs to professional cleaners.
• Expertise counts: No matter what the material, size, or condition of your area rugs, professional cleaners know exactly what to do to make them look clean and healthy.
• Steam cleaning goes a step beyond: Professionals go well beyond the tips you’re following to clean and maintain your rugs. Nothing beats a good professional steam cleaning for ensuring your rugs have been thoroughly cleaned. You’ll find comfort in knowing you’ve taken positive steps in providing a healthy home environment.
• No problem is too large: Professional cleaners tackle the deepest stains and the dirtiest rugs with the tools and cleaning agents that are consistently proven to provide successful outcomes. The result is area rugs that look almost brand new.
• Your lifestyle demands it: It may be that what with your work in and out of the home, you just don’t have the time to keep your rugs in the kind of shape you desire. Some people contract with a professional cleaner for periodic cleanings and maintenance of their area rugs on a regular basis. For them, the cost and peace of mind of this service is well worth it.
Area rugs can be a big plus in your home. In addition to knowing how to properly care for them, it’s just as important to deal with a reputable carpet company in selecting the rugs you wish to purchase to begin with. If you’re looking to add another area rug to your home, Carpet To Go can assist you with all of your flooring needs. Contact them today for a free estimate.