When it comes to area rug placement, there’s a lot to consider. You want your area rug to serve its practical purpose while also looking fabulous.
If you are looking for tips for how to place your custom area rug, you’ve come to the right place. Here at Carpet to Go, we have a team of carpeting professionals who are ready to help you understand everything you need to know when placing an area rug. Here are tips for area rug placement from a carpet installation service that you can trust.
Area Rug Placement Tips
Area rug placement will differ depending on which room in your house you are placing your area rug in. Here are some of the most common rooms that homeowners place area rugs in and tips for area rug placement in each.
How to Place an Area Rug in a Living Room
Probably the most common area for rug placement, the living room is where homeowners entertain company and as a result is one of the most important spaces to have looking fantastic.
Here are our best tips for how to place an area rug in a living room:
- Frame your area rug properly: make sure that your area rug has a border of exposed flooring that is equal all the way around the perimeter of the rug. This will create a balanced and aesthetically pleasing living room.
- Choose an area rug that suits your living room: all too often, homeowners choose an area rug that they like at the store, bring it home only to discover that the same rug that looked so beautiful at the store doesn’t at all suit their living room. This might be for a number of reasons. First, homeowners need to consider the size of their living room in order to choose an area rug that complements their space. Choose an area rug that will increase the size of your living room and not distract from interior focal points in your aesthetic. Choose an area rug that benefits your living room instead of one that muddles or takes away.
- Anchor to your area rug: this is especially important if your living room is a smaller space. Anchor furniture pieces (such as couches or ottomans) to the rug with the front legs resting on the area rug. This will create an open feel that isn’t too crowded.
How to Place an Area Rug in a Bedroom
In a bedroom, area rugs are usually placed under the bed in such a way that when the homeowner gets out of bed their feet are greeted by a soft, warm area rug instead of a cold surface. Here are some tips for placing an area rug in a bedroom.
- Your area rug doesn’t need to be large enough for the entire bed to rest on it: consider getting an area rug that rests under three quarters or two-thirds of your bed — enough space so that the end of your bed has a foot or two of rug space and either edge has the same amount. But recognize that the head of your bed doesn’t need to be on top of the area rug, in fact, your interior may even look more aesthetically pleasing if you have floor space instead of your rug beneath your nightstands.
- Balance your bedroom: an area rug and bed against one wall could dramatically offset the balance of your room. Make sure that you even out your bedroom’s balance by placing a furniture piece along the opposite wall. This could be anything from a dresser or a vanity, or even a little bench or chest.
- Choose a less noisy area rug: when it comes to bedroom aesthetics, a more minimalistic, simple area rug is usually a better choice than a noisy rug. As the main feature of your bedroom is your bed, choose an area rug that showcases your bed rather than one that draws attention.
How Does an Area Rug Benefit Your Interior?
Area rugs are beneficial to home aesthetics for a number of reasons. Here are several reasons why getting an area rug for your home is a good idea.
- Area rugs help you section your room and ensure that one area of your home doesn’t spill over into another room or area.
- Area rugs reduce echo and insulate your home.
- Area rugs are comfortable to walk on and lessen the impact on your joints.
- Area rugs are aesthetically pleasing.
- Area rugs keep your feet warm.
- Area rugs complete your aesthetic and draw all aspects of your interior together.
- Area rugs are useful for households with small children or pets as they create a soft surface for playing on and minimize the risk of kids being hurt when they fall.
Need a Custom Area Rug For Your Home?
Rather than stock ready-made area rugs, here at Carpet to Go we custom make area rugs to suit the needs (both practically and aesthetically) of your specific home. If you have any area rug placement questions or want to get your custom area rug, give Carpet to Go a call today.