Homes in the Pacific Northwest are especially susceptible to mold infestation due to the continuously damp climate. Because mold carries the risk of causing various adverse health effects, it’s important to deal with mold as soon as you’re aware of its presence.
Continue reading to learn more about how to mitigate mold growth in your carpet as well as the telltale signs of mold, or get in touch with Carpet To Go to discuss your carpet
questions with a professional.
How To Get Rid Of Mold In Carpet
The Dangers of Mold
Mold can negatively affect your health in a number of ways. Mold can release a toxic substance known as mycotoxins which can cause irritation in the eyes, throat, nose, and skin.
If you or another member of your household has any sort of immune deficiency, breathing in mold can also cause serious respiratory infections or aggravate symptoms of asthma and bronchitis.
In some cases, individuals may be allergic to mold, which would result in even more health-devastating consequences.
Signs of Mold on Carpet
What are some common indicators of the presence of mold in your carpet? A few telltale signs that let you know that it’s time to inspect for mold growth in your carpet include:
- Musty Smell. You may begin to notice that your carpet has a musty, stale smell. This is an indication that your carpet could be growing mold, and you should inspect to make sure that this isn’t the case.
- Damp Carpet. Dampness can be an indication that there is moisture trapped beneath your carpet, which in turn could result in mold growth. If your carpet seems to be chronically damp, you should seek out the root cause and amend it as soon as possible.
- Discoloration. If you have started to notice small discolored patches on your carpet, this is another indication that mold is growing. Discolorations may be greenish, black, or white.
How To Get Mold Out Of Carpet: 3 Ways
So what is an effective way to remove mold from carpet?
If you would like to get rid of your mold problem, the following three sections outline ways that you can clean mold from carpet effectively.
How To Get Mold Out of Carpet Naturally
There are various natural remedies for getting mold out of the carpet.
One of the most popular methods is using a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar. These substances are tough on mold and can also help to deodorize your carpet.
Using a spray bottle, apply the vinegar solution to the affected area and sprinkle baking soda over the top. Next, take a firm bristle brush and use it to brush the area gently. This will help to loosen the mold and detach it from the carpet fibers.
After you’ve done these steps, use a blow dryer to dry the area and use your vacuum to remove any residual baking soda from the carpet.
Buy an Antifungal Cleaner
Commercial carpet mold cleaner is often one of the most effective ways to treat mold. These can be picked up from most home good stores and generally come with instructions as to how they should be used.
Another way to get rid of mold from your carpet is to ventilate your home aggressively. Getting fresh air inside your home will reduce dampness and regulate temperatures — resulting in less mold growth.
Tips For Combatting Mold Growth In Carpet
Here are six tips for reducing mold growth in your home:
- Get a dehumidifier (and use it!).
- Clean your carpet often — make it a point to vacuum frequently.
- Dry your carpet thoroughly after each cleaning — don’t leave any damp spots!
- Allow the light into your home. Mold does best in damp and dark environments, so allowing the light in reduces your chances of getting mold.
- Use air filters in your home and replace them often, as they filter out dust and other particles that aid in mold growth.
- Choose moisture-resistant padded carpet over cheaply manufactured carpet.
Need Carpet Advice? Get In Touch With Carpet To Go Today!
Whether you’re looking for tips on how to clean mold from carpet or which carpet is ideal for a specific room in your home, get in touch with Carpet To Go today
Here at Carpet To Go, we have a team of carpet specialists that is ready to answer your carpeting questions and help you find solutions that work for you.
Get in touch with our team of carpet enthusiasts today to get the answers to your carpeting questions or to learn more about our wide range of carpet selections.