When it comes to choosing the carpet that best suits your needs, you may be unsure as to what to look for. You need the right combination of performance, characteristics, and aesthetics, as well as budget in order to pick the right carpet. For example, if your home is very busy, then a looped berber and high twist frieze would perform well in your home. However, if you chose a saxony in the same area, it would probably show footprints. Choosing the right carpet flooring is a hard decision, but we are here to help and tell you different things that you should look for.
- Seams are available in 12’, 15’, and sometime 13’ widths. The carpet that you purchase will be seamed unless the room in narrower than those widths.
- The visibility of the seams will depend on the texture and color of your carpet, as well as the lighting and furniture that you have in the room.
- The seams will be more visible with looped or low-profile patterned carpets.
2. Backing and Loops
- If you get a looped carpet, keep in mind that it may snag at a seam or transition.
- The backing may show when your carpet bends over stairs depending on its texture, color, and density.
3. Carpet Nap
- Pile reversal and shading are normal, however, there are certain window treatments that you can get which will minimize this.
- The Higher quality your carpet is, the greater pile density it will have.
- If you want a more durable carpet, pick one that has a tighter twist construction.
- Carpet is easier to replace or update décor with rather than a hard surface flooring.
- Carpet adds values to your home since it is so popular.
- Carpet is soft and warm to walk on.
- Carpet reduces household noise.
- Keep in mind that your installed carpet will often look lighter than the sample.
- The color of your carpet will affect how big or small a room appears to be. Lighter carpets visually expand the size of a room, and darker carpets do the opposite.
- However, darker carpets can create a more intimate setting in a room.
- If you pick a neutral color for your carpet, then you will have an easier time redecorating that room.
- When you are looking into a carpet, check the warranty for the policy on stains.
- Consider getting stain protection if it is not already included in the warranty.
- Keep in mind that different carpet products have different stain protection levels.
8. Carpet cushion
- Decide how cushy you would like your carpet beforehand. Would you like something that is very comfortable underfoot?
- The carpet cushion determines the quality and durability very often, so decide how much comfort and protection from wear that you would like your carpet to have.
- The better quality of your carpet cushion, the longer your carpet will last.
- The carpet cushion is sold according to quality specifications instead of color.
9. Reading the label
- This may seem very simple, but very often people do not become familiar with product specs warranties on the labels, so protect your investment and read the label.
10. Know the entire cost of ownership
- Since there may be costs that you did not consider, such as carpet cleanings and installation costs, be sure to know your budget and factor it in when you shop around.
- Before you start your project, ask the person installing the carpet to give you an estimate for how much it is going to cost.
Potential additional expenses:
- Furniture removal/replacement.
- Demolition/disposal of old floor covering.
- Sub-floor preparation.
- Product delivery.
- Carpet installation.
- Materials required to complete the installation.
In addition to the total project cost, be sure to also consult the manufacturer's warranty and care guide for directions on how frequently the carpet should be cleaned and the cost to clean it.
Our Other Flooring Products