One of the best benefits of hardwood flooring is that they require such little maintenance in comparison to other types of flooring.
Day-to-day cleaning generally involves little more than sweeping with a soft bristle broom on a regular basis to remove dirt and debris. The dirtier areas of your home may need a little more attention, such as a thorough mopping, but generally only in areas like the kitchen or pantry. Food and beverage spills that so often occur in these parts of the home can cause the floor to become sticky or grimy. Doorways and hallways may need extra attention as well, because they are the first areas that will show scuff marks.
Cleaners will generally be needed only once a year—typically during your annual spring cleaning frenzy!
A good hardwood floor will require very little of your time and energy. If you take appropriate maintenance measures to protect your hardwood floor, you’ll find that you have a beautiful, low maintenance floor to enjoy for years and years to come!
Good hardwood floor practices are as follows:
- Place walk off mats at every door—these mats should be shaken out regularly.
- You can and should sweep (or vacuum, if you prefer) your floors every other day or more if you find that your floors get dirty rapidly.
- Before cleaning your hardwood floor, always check that you are about to use the correct floor cleaner! Don’t assume that any household cleaner will be safe for your hardwood floors.
- Cleaners should be applied with a terry cloth head mop.
- Less is more. Use only a small amount of cleaner.
- Only use wax on floors with a wax finish—if you want to have a wax finish, call the professionals to render this service for you.
- Wipe up spills immediately with a soft cloth.
- For stubborn marks like chewing gum or candle wax try using a credit card to scrape away the excess gunk. Afterward, apply a wood-safe cleaner to the area and gently scrub off the remainder.
- Always call our experts when you have any questions about how to keep your hardwood floors shining!
Areas We Serve:
| North Bend