Related Article: Types of Laminate Flooring
This article discusses several useful tips for how to waterproof your laminate floor and the benefits of waterproof flooring so that you can ensure maximum longevity and functionality from your laminate floor.
How To Make Your Laminate Flooring WaterproofIf you are dealing with a moisture problem, you should first go to the flooring company that installed your floor and ask them if they have a sealant that is specific to your laminate floor. Using a trustworthy brand that was made specifically for your floor will yield the best results and will maximize longevity. After you have talked with the flooring company who installed your floor, here are several tips for preventative waterproofing care:
1. Use Silicone To Prevent Water DamageAnother easy way to prevent water damage to your laminate floor is to use a silicone caulking gun to fill any cracks where water could drain into and cause damage. We recommend using DAP Silicone Plus, which is a highly rated silicone sealant with clear instructions on how to use it. Prevention by making your floor water-resistant is almost more important than repairing, as it is far easier and will save you time and money in the long run.
2. Have a High-Quality Top Coat Applied To Your Laminate FloorEven though this may seem like an additional step, it is entirely worth it in ensuring the longevity of your laminate floor. Applying a top coat to your laminate floor involves treating the entirety of the floor. Unlike silicone caulking which simply protects target areas of your floor from damage, coating your laminate floor involves covering the entire surface with polyurethane. Polyurethane protects the surface as well as the cracks of your laminate floor which will increase longevity and water resistance. One thing to be aware of if you are considering coating your laminate floor is that generally laminate floors require two layers of coating to make them impervious to water damage. Failing to apply the adequate amount of coating layers to your floor will not yield the same results.
Should You Replace Your Flooring With Waterproof Laminate Floors?Do you currently have a different kind of flooring, but are wondering if laminate flooring would be a good choice for your home? Here are several things to keep in mind when considering:
- If you decide to replace your floors with laminate, be aware that you have the option of choosing fully waterproof laminate to avoid repeated water damage. This kind of laminate will make it so that you don’t need to add that extra coating on top, making this the best option for rooms in your home that have a lot of water usage.
- Laminate floors are highly durable as is vinyl flooring. They are resistant to many environmental factors such as water, heat, and scratching and are made to last a long time.
- Traditional laminate is extremely comfortable underfoot. If you have joint issues or have a household with small children or pets, laminate the perfect option as they create a soft surface to walk on, unlike some wood flooring.
- If you decide to go with a waterproof laminate floor, you will find that they need minimal care and maintenance to keep looking fresh. In most cases, a quick sweep and mop will have your them look shiny and new.
- You may choose to install your own — minimizing installation costs and providing you with a fun DIY project. Installation is extremely easy and requires minimal time and effort.
- Waterproof laminate floors are budget-friendly. If you are looking for an affordable as well as a high-quality flooring option that will look new for years to come, laminate flooring will not disappoint. It is affordable, beautiful, durable, and will complete any room in your home in a way that matches your preferred aesthetic taste.